Please note: tickets are no longer available for purchase for our 40th Anniversary Gala on May 13th. Email us to be added to the waitlist.
View the full Gala invitation!
Since its founding in the 1970s, the UW Stroum Jewish Studies Program has grown into a world-class institution offering a comprehensive examination of Jewish civilization through the ages. Here are just a few of our achievements over the past 40 years:
- Over 35 Stroum Lecturers
- Over 20 Hazel D. Cole Post-Doctoral Fellows
- 25 Participating Faculty Members
- 60 Courses Offered
- 100s of Award-Winning Programs
Now, as the newly incorporated Stroum Center for Jewish Studies at UW, we have even more possibilities at our fingertips. Here are ways we are continuing to innovate and lead the way in engaged scholarship for the future:
- Sephardic Studies Program and Online Ladino Library
- Graduate Fellowships supporting MA & PhD Students
- Faculty Digital Fellowships
- Interactive Web Portal ( jewishstudies.washington.edu/newsite) bridging campus & community
- YouTube Channel with over 25,000 views
And the best is yet to come! Join us this year as we mark the accomplishments of the past and continue “Thinking Forward” towards a bright future! Throughout the year, we’ll be sharing interviews, archival photos, and reflections on this historic occasion. Here are recent some blog entries highlighting the special history of Jewish Studies at UW.
- “Jewish Studies Can Impact the Heart and the Mind” – We interviewed Beth Huppin, Seattle Jewish commujity educator extraordinaire, about how UW Jewish Studies and Prof. Deborah Lipstadt changed her vision of Jewish education.
- Who was UW’s first Jewish Studies major? – We interviewed Dorothy Becker, a trailblazing student who later became Jewish Studies’ first administrator.
- Jewish Studies’ 40th Anniversary Gallery – A curated group of photos and archival documents highlighting the past four decades of Jewish Studies at UW.