- This event has passed.
3rd Annual International Ladino Day
Sunday, December 6, 2015, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Biva la lingua de Ladino!
Join Professors Julia Phillips Cohen (Vanderbilt), Sarah Abrevaya Stein (UCLA), and Devin Naar (UW) as they shine a light on Sephardic language and culture at our third-annual celebration of International Ladino Day. The event will include:
- Readings from the award-winning book, Sephardi Lives
- Special performances by Los Ladineros and community members
- Kosher reception featuring Sephardic delicacies
This event is hosted by the UW Stroum Center for Jewish Studies and the Sephardic Studies Program in cooperation with Congregation Ezra Bessaroth, Sephardic Bikur Holim Congregation, the Seattle Sephardic Brotherhood, and the Seattle Sephardic Network.
The recipient of the 2014 National Jewish Book Award for Sephardic Culture, Sephardi Lives: A Documentary History, 1700-1950, offers an unprecedented glimpse into the experiences of Sephardic Jews in the lands of the former Ottoman Empire by highlighting aspects of their religious, political, economic and cultural worlds over more than two centuries. Read our new interview with the editors!
Julia Phillips Cohen is Associate Professor of History and Jewish Studies at Vanderbilt University.
Sarah Abrevaya Stein is Professor of History and Maurice Amado Chair in Sephardic Studies at UCLA
[title size=”1″ content_align=”left” style_type=”single solid” sep_color=”” class=”” id=””]Links for Further Exploration[/title]
- Read Ty Alhadeff’s preview article, “Celebrate Ladino Day 2015 at the UW on Dec. 6th“
- “Sephardi Lives in Living Color” by Hannah Pressman
- Enjoy video highlights from both our 2013 and 2014 celebrations of International Ladino Day in Seattle
- “Ladino Day Confirms Seattle as Vibrant Hub of Sephardic Culture” by Molly FitzMorris
- “What is the History of Ladino and Its Alphabet?” Video Featuring Prof. Devin Naar and Prof. David Bunis
For blog write-ups about our events and more information about annual programs like the Stroum Lectures, visit our Events page.